We have extensive experience in litigation and dispute resolution both locally and internationally.
Our lawyers include experienced western litigators and UAE nationals, experienced in appearing before all courts of law in the UAE.
Our litigation practice covers a broad spectrum of corporate and commercial law, construction, real estate, admiralty, agency, immigration, employment and debt collection. We are also regularly involved in domestic and international arbitrations.
Our notable cases and recent work includes:
- Acting for an international contractor in arbitration proceedings against a master developer with project value in excess of AED 1 billion.
- Acting for an MEP contractor in arbitration proceedings against a main contractor with project value in excess of AED 1.5 billion and claim value in excess of AED 250 Million.
- The World LLC –v- Kleindienst Properties Limited (DWT/0031/2011): Defense of a contractual dispute with claim value in excess of US $ 250 Million and counterclaim of value in excess of US $ 60 Million.
- Al Falak – v – Nakheel World LLC (DWT/0025/2011) – Counsel for the successful claimant, a Saudi Arabian developer in the Dubai World Tribunal in the award of US $ 27 Million in refund of payments (plus interest) made towards the purchase of a plot of land with purchase price US $ 122 Million in the Mina Rashid master development.
- Jumeirah Golf Estates dispute, counsel for a developer in Dubai World Tribunal proceedings in an infrastructure dispute with claim value in excess of US $ 190 Million.
- DIAC Arbitration - counsel for the Claimant in a dispute with claim value in excess of US $ 95 Million between a developer and a master developer relating to the purchase of land in Dubai, the failure of the masterdeveloper to provide infrastructure and the cancellation by the developer of the purchase of land under a Sale and Purchase Agreement.
- The Russian World Islands case - counsel for the claimant in the Dubai World Tribunal in the award of US $ 17 Million in refund of payments made towards World Islands (proceedings involved the first application in the DWT for evidence to be adduced by video conferencing; the successful defence of an application for a retrial and the successful defence of injunction proceedings).
- The Diamond Developers DWT case - counsel for the successful claimant in a case with dispute value US $ 8 Million, which was the landmark first full trial held before Dubai World Tribunal.
- The World LLC -V- Penguin Marine Boat Services (DWT/0008/2011) – counsel in the defence of claim relating to payment of license fees in respect of The World Development and counterclaim in excess of AED 80 Million for breach of warranties.
- David John Nicholson –v- Nakheel PJSC (DWT/0015/2011) – counsel for the successful Claimant (the former General Counsel of Nakheel) in employment dispute involving his former employer.
- DWT/0014/2011 His Excellency Ahmed Butti Ahmed Almuhairi -v- The Palm Jumeirah Co LLC – counsel for the successful Claimant (the Director General and CEO of Dubai Ports and Customs and executive of Dubai World) in a case with claim value AED 16 Million against a subsidiary of Nakheel PJSC, the master developer of the manmade reclaimed development, the Palm Jumeirah, Dubai.
- Chris O’Donnell –v- Nakheel PJSC (DWT/0035/2011) - counsel for the successful Claimant (the former CEO of the world’s one time largest property developer) in a contractual dispute (claim value in excess of US $ 3.5 Million) involving his former employer.
- Said Al Angari –v- Limitless LLC (DWT/0029/2010) - counsel for the successful Claimant (a Saudi Arabian developer) in a claim for the refund of monies paid as an option towards the potential purchase of two plots of land from a Government owned Master Developer. The matter involved the defence of two separate applications raised to (i) stay the proceedings in favour of arbitration and (ii) strike out proceedings.
- Dubai World Tribunal cases – counsel for four related BVI registered development companies in respect of disputes relating to land transactions with a combined purchase value of in excess of US $ 200 Million.
- DIAC Arbitrations – acting for developers, in separate proceedings, in respect of disputes with a master developer relating to the purchase of several offshore man-made islands in Dubai.
- DIAC Arbitrations - Acting for contractors in relation to payment claims and calling on security bonds.
- DIAC Arbitrations – Acting for four high net-worth individuals in respect of four parallel DIAC arbitrations relating to disputes between the individuals and a developer on the construction of property investment projects in the UAE.
- DIAC Arbitration – Acting for a large Abu Dhabi based conglomerate in proceedings taken against a master developer in a finance and construction related dispute.
- ICC Arbitration - Acting for SPV in respect of breach of warranty for claims in excess of US$ 30 Million for non delivery of aircraft.
- LCIA Arbitration - Acting for SPV in respect of defence of breach of warranty claims in excess of US$ 25 Million.